I was laying down in the dirt, Dehydrated, no water, 4kms from known source.


Repeating this phrase to myself ;

"you've done it this time simon, You've really gone and done it this time"

3.5.09

How to construct a fence.

During the past week I have been doing a lot of fencing (not the kind that involves swords). So in the usual fashion, this is how it’s done.

Two post holes are dug either end of the stretch of fence.

A strainer post is then placed in the holes. The posts are found from the many fallen trees found on the farm

A strut is then added to the post to reinforce it. That will be in a later photo.

Every 6-10 meters a metal post is hammered into the ground after being sighted up.
They are hammered in using the hand tool shown in the photo or an air compressor for the long stretches.

Then the netting is rolled out and strained up tight using the Ute. (Note the strut that is attached to the post)

Then after the netting has been attached to each of the posts, you end up with a fence like so.

And now its animal time again.

These are just a couple of the many eagles that fly around in the sky looking for food.

And this is Charles, one of the many sun lizards that I find on my living room floor. He / she has now been released from the ice cream container and is now back in the wild. (he's/she's about 3-4inches long)

It has now been over one month that I have been without a cigarette and 3 months without a TV or regular internet. So I have had to find a new hobby, other than my new guitar that arrived early this week.

That new hobby is this...

During my time on the farm I have been doing many things to improve her and get her ready for my first long trek up to Darwin.

I have been getting in touch with my feminine side by sewing some new curtains.

I fixed them up by bending some old tin to hold up some wooden dowel rails. I also replaced the carpet in the boot as the old one was torn and oil stained.

With the help of Gary I restored an old roof rack that was on the farms scrap metal pile and painting her black to match the car. I then added four 20ltr containers with hose pipe to provide me with 80ltrs of water during my trip.

I also wired up the three spot lights on the bull bar with a relay, fuse and switch to give me extra light on my journey.

Please feel free to comment on my blog entrys by clicking on the link bellow and adding your thoughts. Don't forget also to rate the entry.