I was laying down in the dirt, Dehydrated, no water, 4kms from known source.


Repeating this phrase to myself ;

"you've done it this time simon, You've really gone and done it this time"

1.3.09

INTO THE BUSH

I have ended up staying at Glenorn station, about 25km south east of Leonora. Glanorn station is a very remote cattle station. While being here I have seen loads of wildlife. Such as a Kangaroo, Lizard, Scorpion, bat and loads of other wired insects. I struggled to sleep last night after very nearly standing on the scorpion. But how did I get here?

I’m not sure on what days I did what before leaving Perth, but I basically went to a couple of beaches to have a swim and loaded the truck. Being very low on money myself and Blair decided to try our luck getting a job in the east. So last Wednesday morning we set off east on freeway 94 in search of some work.


The roads are very long and straight, as far as the eye can see. Trees and bush on both sided for miles and miles. Luckily the Truck has a primitive cruise control. So I was able to rest my feet for the 550km drive to Kalgoorlie. We stopped half way in Merredin to stock up with rations for the week and fill up with fuel before finishing our trip at Lake Douglas. This was to be our home for the next couple of days. Free camping in the middle of the bush. We explored the site for a short while before finding an old gold mine. The bottom had filled with water that we were later told had 15 times more salt in it that the sea (interesting fact for you). The views were amazing, the rock has so many colours and textures and the water was so clear and still it just reflected the sky.

After our Kangaroo and salad dinner it was time to do some star gazing. I just wish my camera was able to take some photos of the stars. The Milky Way was so clear, every star was bright and absolutely no light pollution was affecting the amazing night sky.

On Thursday we headed into Kalgoorlie to start our hunt for work. We signed up at most of the job agencies. I even applied at the local subway and hungry Jack fast food restaurants. It was then time to go to the pub for a few drinks. And then I got a call. It was Subway asking if I was available for an interview. So I headed over the road and met the manager. Luckely for me he was only looking for a part time position to fill 9 hours a day. So I was happily able to turn it down. That evening we headed back to the campsite for a few games of cards before setting up the tent, folding down the seats and hitting the pillow.

The following day we set off to sign up to some more agencies. But our luck in finding some work was running very low. One of the local nickel mines has recently closed due to lowering metal values, so over 2000 people were looking for the same work. That afternoon we got a call from Cooney who I had also met in Perth. He was arriving in Kalgoorlie that evening and was looking for a lift to Leonora so he could see his girlfriend who is working on this very farm, so we accepted as he would be paying for the fuel. Before meeting him off the train we headed to the super pit. Super Pit is a massive open gold mine just outside Kalgoorlie. The photos just don’t show how massive the mine is. The photo on the right is only a third of the mine.

Then after some dinner we went to the train station to meet Cooney. After a late arrival we headed back to the campsite to set up one last time before an early morning start to head up to Leonora. As we had come so far we decided to take him to the farm. Easier said than done with the basic instructions we had. After many wrong turns we finally got to the farm. As we dropped Cooney off we asked the farm owner if there was a local campsite we could stay at. But they replied to say we could stay in one of the miners rooms till we leave on Monday. All we have to do in exchange is tidy them out ready for the miners to move in. So we chose our rooms and set up before heading into town to pick up some beers for the barbecue we had been invited to.

That evening we had the most amazing BBQ with the farms very own lamb. Far more meat than we could possibly eat. We were up till midnight talking to the wife who was able to tell us all about the land and it’s wildlife. It was then that I almost stood on a scorpion.

We awoke to the fire alarm this morning, we checked the dorms for a fire but it was all clear, so I was left to fix the broken alarm. We then had some beans for breakfast and put some tea on the stove. And here I am now, writing this up before cleaning out the rooms.